Saturday, January 24, 2015

Musicals that Make me Happy

Today the temperature was...
4 degrees celcius.

Seriously? This is the topic for today? Come on Pinterest! I'm loosing faith in your ability to help me with my month long blogging challenge. It's hard enough as it is to write something every day, let alone to a topic that has a one number answer. You need to join the literature circles I'm doing in my class, we are learning about open ended questions.

I'm going to pick my own topic for today.

My favourite musicals of all time.

1. Newsies.
Three words for you. Teenage Christian Bale. It's fantastic. He sings, he dances, he whiny-sings about wanting to move to Sante Fe, he inspires an entire city's worth of street urchins to rise against "the man. " "Pulitzer and Hurst they think they got us, do they got us? NO!" And their story encourages me to Seize The Day.



2. Hairspray
It's a great story, with great lines. Among my favourite are:
"There's the flasher who lives next door, there's the bum on his barroom stool, they wish me well on my way to school."
"I'm pleased and terrified to meet you."
"We'll kiss inside his car, won't go all the way but I'll go pretty fa-ar"
"Link, your pork is ready"
"In my ivory tower, life was just a hostess snack, now I've tasted chocolate and I'm never going back!"


3. Oklahoma
You know there is no limits to what a musical can do when Curly tries to convince Judd, through a song, to hang himself in the smoke house so that he won't be able to take Laurie out that night.

(He looks like he's a sleep, it's a shame that he won't keep, but it's summer and we are running out of ice - best line)
And also this song. Which, I'm not going to lie, I can sing perfectly just like Ado Annie

(When a person tries to kiss a girl, I know she ought to give his face a smack, but as soon as someone kisses me I sorta, kinda, wanna kiss him back      Kissin's my favourite food, with or without the mistletoe, I'm in the holiday mood.)



4. Sound of Music
Technically it ends on a sad note, you know, with the Nazi's invading Austria and the main characters having to escape over the mountains into Switzerland.... But other than that it is a very happy movie.




5. Mamma Mia
Although the characters are nothing special, the music is fun and the songs make me laugh.





6. White Christmas
It's a family tradition to watch this movie together almost every year. It's a feel good movie that makes us laugh.


And then at the end, they do a whole show and get their ENTIRE UNIT to come to Vermont JUST to honour their General. I cry EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.


Oh no guys, we have a problem, I just watched the clip and now I'm crying.  I can't blog anymore. It's over. I'm done, it's just too touching.

These are my favourites. I'll do a part two to this blog someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment