Sunday, January 8, 2017

Single-handedly Saving the Planet

How do you know if a mom cloth diapers?
She'll tell you.

I don't know where I heard this phrase, but it made me chuckle. Because it's kinda true. I'm a proud cloth-diapering mama and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and will tell anyone and everyone about my love of cloth diapers. Of all the mom's I know, (and I know a lot because I am in the age of 'everyone-I-know-is-having-babies') I only have one other mom friend that does (Yay April!)

(Side note, when I say "everyone-I-know-is-having-babies" I actually mean it. In my small group from last year(emphasis on small), five babies were born in the last  7 months. In my small mom's group at church - once again, emphasis on small, there is 16 kids under 3. And there is more on the way!) 

Around Christmas I was thinking of things that I wanted, and one of the things I put on my list was a "wet bag" which is basically a fancy waterproof bag that you can put dirty cloth diapers in when you are out and about. I generally use disposables when I'm out, but lately I've been venturing out with the baby in cloth diapers and it really isn't that challenging. I'm going to do it more, but wanted a super fancy wet bag for my dirty baby diapers. I didn't get one for Christmas, and looking online I saw that they are only about $3 for a cheap-o one from China.

But I couldn't buy one. Because I am on a spending freeze. Arron, bless his loving heart, realized the other day that I don't pay any bills (except groceries), and yet somehow manage to spend all of my maternity leave money every month... and we aren't exactly sure on what.... (insert grimace emoticon here). So no more spending for me.  Not even $3. I looked through my massive stash of craft supplies (hmmmmm... maybe that's where my EI money is going...), and found some plastic coated fabric and an old zipper that would make the perfect wet bag.

So tonight I sewed it, and always, I wanted to show Arron how proud I was of my fancy wet bag that I could use for wet diapers, or wet bathing suits or whatever I felt I could use it for. As I walked downstairs I started giggling.

"What are you laughing about?" Arron asked.
"Well,  I came to show you the craft I made! But I already know what you are going to say when I show it to you."
"Really? You think you know me that well?"
"Hold on, let me write down what you are going to say." I grabbed a pen and a scrap piece of paper off his desk and wrote down 'why can't you just use a plastic bag'

I showed Arron my wet bag and proudly explained what I could do with it, and hinted that I was single-handedly saving the planet from non-decomposable disposable diapers by using this wet bag and cloth diapers when I'm out and about.

He smiled and said, "You know, you could just use a plastic bag."
I laughed, showed him what I had wrote down, and then he hastily added, "but yours is better dear, of course. You are so beautiful. ahem. Your bag is nicer." cough cough.

And it is much nicer. Plus I'm REALLY saving the planet single-handed by not contributing plastic bags to the garbage. Yay me! Go Green!

No comments:

Post a Comment