Thursday, September 4, 2014

Wife Fails

I'm still a newly-wed. Which means that I have been trying extra extra hard to be an awesome wife. And usually I do a pretty smashing job if I do say so myself. I make Arron three meals a day (yes, including an early breakfast - which I did all through my summer vacation too, that's real love. I could have been sleeping in every day, but instead I got up at 6:45am every morning to make him coffee and breakfast.), I do the laundry regularly, clean the house, change the sheets way more often than Arron did when he was a bachelor, and I even have like 7 pinterest boards dedicated to house, home, food, crafts, family life etc. Those count as research into being a good wife.

I've been doing pretty good as a wife. But I had two pretty major fails this week. Almost epic.

Fail #1. The tale of the clogged kitchen sink. Aka 7th degree chemical burns.
So our kitchen sink has been getting more and more plugged as the days have been going by. By Friday it was totally clogged but because we were headed to Bella Coola for our last long weekend before I go back to work full time, we decided to leave it until we got back. Arron said he would fix it. But, being a super excited wife, I decided on Tuesday that I would try and fix it before Arron got home from work. I figured he had worked all day and would be tired and probably really thankful if I fixed something around the house and he didn't have to. So I followed the directions on the Drain-O bottle, poured it down, let it sit 15 minutes and then poured boiling hot kettle down the drain to flush it out. Unfortunately the magical Drain-O didn't work and the boiling water just sort of sat in the drain. Knowing in the past that Arron had plungered his way through a clogged drain, I decided to follow his example. I didn't however know that you need to plug one side of the sink or when you push down on the plunger a projectile fountain of Drain-O and boiling hot water would shoot out of the other side. All over me. BURNING ME. Like stripping off my clothes in the kitchen burning me.

I have a short patience span as it is, and that made me mad. So I gave up in anger, had a shower and a cry, put on my PJ's and went to bed. Which is where Arron found me at 5:00pm when he got home. I felt like the worst wife ever. Because I didn't fix the sink, and because I was angry and ugly. And also because I left the draino/drain crud all over the kitchen because I was too mad to clean it up. Luckily Arron just gave me a hug and let me cry and then fixed the sink and cleaned up the mess. Husband +1, Wife -66

Fail #2
Like I said, I really am trying to be a good wife. So before I headed back to work full time I decided to complete tasks. Defrost the deep freeze and organize it, prepare a bunch of meals, renew car insurances, clean the fridge and oven etc. Good wife. +89 points for me.  When we got back from our trip this weekend I noticed that the house had a bit of a funky smell. I chalked it up to the garbage not being emptied before we went. So I dealt with that. The next day after work the smell was still there and even worse. So I thought it was the drain (see above story where I tried to fix that). Arron didn't believe me about the stinky house, even after I told him the smell is so bad it makes me want to not live in this house. He couldn't smell it. (I realize now it's because I was always cooking dinner when he came home from work.) Yesterday the smell was even worse. SO gross. SO I emptied the garbage, sprayed febreeze, put new wax melts in my smelly melty pot things, washed the floor, did laundry, vaccuumed, cleaned out the fridge again and DID NOT cook Arron supper and when he came home, he could smell the stAnk. (yes, Stank). And I told him that the smell was coming from his tool room. Because it was. Even he realized when walking over there that the smell was coming from that general direction.

And then my dad texts. He's travelling through town and wants to sleep overnight. In our stinky house. In the evening we were chilling out in the living room and the smell was just... bad. I mean not overwhelming bad, but just this low mist of 'that smells kinda funky.' Before bed Arron and I investigated, and found, in the room beside his tool room, the room with the deep freeze that this good wife cleaned out two weeks ago, a piece of salmon that hadn't made it's way back into the deep freeze. -678points for this wife. :(

I'm sure there will be more fails as a wife in my future, but those were two pretty big, and somewhat funny ones that happened in the course of 2 days. But the result is that my sink is fixed, and my house smells really nice now.

1 comment: